Things Equestrian







Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Results of the New Feed Plus the Desensitization Process

In addition to changing Cruz Bay’s feed, (see previous post) I’ve also set about desensitizing my big bay. I purchased a copy of Rick Pelicano’s book Bombproof Your Horse and began using some of his techniques.

A set of twelve nerf balls from Walmart began my sessions. At first I showed one to Cruz in his stall then bounced it gently off his neck and gave him a treat. I continued to throw them at his neck, his back, his rump.....you get the picture.

Cruz's eyes bulged and he shied away, but then understood the balls weren’t going to hurt him and allowed them to come at him.

Eventually my son could throw them at him while I was mounted - still offering treats, of course!

Now part of my after-ride routine is to throw nerf balls at him in his stall – from the front, on his head, from behind. He doesn’t enjoy it, but he lets me do it. I can now throw four or five at him before giving him a treat.

He's also learning not to be afraid of umbrellas. I open and close two different sizes and colors of umbrella on either side of him, and hold them over his head. Treats are liberally dispensed and he is being very brave.

In the arena I’ve placed a tarp, which he walks over with no problem now.

Is the Combination Working?
Yesterday I took Cruz down to my arena to ride. I deliberately had a friend drag a noisy chain behind my tractor in the field next to the sand school, with the front bucket raised menacingly high in the air.

The tractor came very close while I was leading him down to the arena. He saw it and raised his head, ready to take off. I offered him a treat and his fear immediately subsided. That has never happened before!

The tractor came full frontal towards us and close to the boundary fence many times while I rode in the arena. A cyclist came past on the other side. But Cruz remained unperturbed by any of it. He listened to me, and performed his walk work in shoulder-in, renvers, tranvers and half-pass as though nothing else were going on.

Conclusion
The feed and the desensitization seem to be working. For the first time in three years I am hopeful that Cruz can become a confident horse who trusts me.

And I have just received information that Rick Pelicano is giving a bombproofing clinic in March at the farm next to me. What a stroke of luck!

I’ve signed up for it so watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts, observations or other feedback?