Things Equestrian







Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

Overcoming My Horse's Fear (and Mine!): Final Part: Completing the Cure

Part I and Part II explored why my horse and I are afraid, and the first steps I need to take to overcome the problem. But there are other methods I can adopt.

Besides changing my attitude, here some more practical things I'm doing to help Cruz and me work through our fear.

Desensitization

If you’ve read my previous blog on desensitizing Cruz, you’ll already know that I’m throwing nerf balls at him: opening and shutting umbrellas next to him, holding them over his head and waving seven balloons round his body and between his ears. He is coping magnificently – if not actually happily! – with this.

At the end of this month we’re going to a Rick Pelicano bomb proofing clinic. It’ll be with eleven other horses, so I hope to (a) get through it with flying colors and (b) have lots of photos to prove I did!

Change of Nutrition

I’ve changed his feed to CoolStance, which is a starch reduced feed deriving ‘cool’ energy for horses through coconut oil and fiber. It seems to be having a very positive effect on him: he is much less spooky and anxious after only a short time on the feed.

Reintroduction of Cruz to Other Horses in the Ring

I’ll be taking Cruz to a local “horse whisperer” who trains difficult horses. He’ll help me build up Cruz’s confidence around other horses in the ring.

I’ve also extended an open invitation to my riding friends to bring their horses to ride with us.

Yesterday a friend brought her horse and rode with me in my arena. Cruz gave one small sideways shy, but quickly got over it and concentrated on his job. When another friend brought Cruz's stable mate in as a second horse, I rode Cruz between both animals as they walked towards me. Cruz coped well.

Next time we'll do the same thing in trot and canter. I expect to report good results!

Why Bother Doing This Myself?

Why don’t I just hand Cruz over to a professional and be done with it?

Because I’m his Mum! I bred him - from a mare who was a complete basket case when she first came to me, and ended up being the best and most reliable horse I’ve ever owned to date.

With TLC, professional guidance and determination/grit/guts I hope to turn this talented, athletic gelding into the horse that he was born to be.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts, observations or other feedback?