Things Equestrian







Pages

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Back in the Saddle after Two Days Off

The past few days have been spent anxiously awaiting a call from my farrier. I missed the last appointment, so it was my own fault that I had three horses overdue for shoeing for more than a week! So after that last great lesson when it rained non-stop and I was worried about the shoes, I didn't ride.

But the farrier came yesterday - hurray! And it stopped raining today - hurray again! Not only that, but my  arena had dried out sufficiently to be rideable. So I was able to get on my horse again, which is a good thing as we have a show coming up next weekend. He was well-behaved for a Thoroughbred cross who had been off work for more than 24 hours.

Cruz was a little unhappy with his left canter lead, but surprised me by being balanced and co-operative again when I did that counter canter exercise. I have aspirations to enter a Second Level test before the end of the year, and already the lowest level one needs a serpentine in counter canter with three loops. Now I feel that maybe - just maybe - we'll sneak that test in before the end of 2009. Even if we don't quite make it by then, I still know that it's not an unrealistic goal for the near future.

I was very proud of Cruz for having such a great attitude. He's got a decent shoulder-in and we're working well on walk to canter strike-offs. Now I need to quietly and clearly teach him to back up without making him anxious or think that I'm going to ask him to back up every time we halt. I'm learning that he listens much more than I've given him credit for. And he's always so cuddly after exercise.

Another good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts, observations or other feedback?