Things Equestrian







Pages

Monday, September 28, 2009

A royal disagreement!

On Saturday Cruz decided that he was NOT going to bend left in left canter. He was very happy to bend to the right, even in counter canter, but not to the left. I must have ridden him for two hours in the rain, trying to find a way for him to accept the left bend. He finally agreed to bend left if I rode him long and very low, but as soon as I asked him to hold himself even a little higher, it was all over.

I was worried about what the neighbors thought, watching me turn him in left circles and pushing my left leg into him about every two minutes!

Because of all this, he did some fairly decent leg yields as long as I rode him straight, not bending to the left!!

So I ended being satisfied with those, although really frustrated over the left canter. It seems to rear its ugly head every so often. Cruz does find it difficult.

Sunday I was off in Norfolk at a Barnes & Noble book fair, so he had a day to recover, together with a lot of arnica. Today I lunged him, reeling him in more and more on the left - but still not particularly short - and he gave me grief about that left lead in canter again. Eventually he gave in, and I stopped. But it took a long time. I hope I can ride him tomorrow in a more friendly manner, the way I did at the show after a bad day on the eve of the competition. He seemed to agree to a truce that day: I'm looking for that tomorrow! We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts, observations or other feedback?