Things Equestrian







Pages

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Lesson Learned!

Yesterday I took Cruz for another dressage lesson. Although it would be nice not to have to trailer him for my weekly kick up the posterior, it is useful for him to travel so consistently. I no longer worry that it'll take an hour or more to get him into the trailer, which is how bad he used to be.

Our big bugbear right now is bending, especially to the left. Yesterday I was pushed into making him bend left, even if it meant having to exert a LOT OF HEAVY repeated left leg and left rein to make him give in.

I was given a useful exercise to get him to cross over laterally and get me to put that lifeless left leg of mine on his side. Do a canter leg yield on the left lead, then bend left and go into trot before the end of the long side. Come round and perform left leg yield then canter before the end of the long side. Repeat three times. By the end of the exercise Cruz was yielding gracefully to the left, and I was keeping my left leg on him better. We obviously did the same on the right leg, but without the same fights! Any time we were on the left leg and Cruz gave me 'no' I had to turn him left and really kick with my left leg a couple of times before he gave in. Then he got a big pat and went on our merry way.

We also performed counter-canter circles in both directions with him looking outwards to get him realizing how easy the correct bend is! He was exhausted afterwards and very happy to march onto the trailer and go home!

Today he gets off - he's worked for seven days in a row because of the show and the lesson, and deserves a break.

CD's eye is weeping again, although it's not sensitive to the touch. So I'm using the cortisone cream again and stepping up the homeopathic treatment, in case the trauma is threatening another ERU episode. I really hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts, observations or other feedback?