Things Equestrian







Pages

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A Much Happier Day

Today I was determined to stay friends with Cruz and I succeeded. It was a windy day so I stayed in the upper two thirds of the arena to save any distractions for him, since he was threatening to be distracted and I wanted to keep things calm and concentrated.

I worked him long and low in walk and he bent fine to left and right, as he did in trot. I cantered him first on the right lead, a couple of times, and then walked on a long rein to take a break. I didn't want him anticipating left canter and getting worked up ahead of time, which he does very easily.

So when I asked for the left canter lead a few minutes later, he stayed straight and slightly bent to the left. I was careful not to ask for too much bend. I patted him like crazy afterwards, then worked on the right rein in trot, and the left. I found that if I now kept the right (outside) rein consistent and vibrated/squeezed the left rein he reacted well. I cantered him one last time on the left rein and Cruz was willing to give a little bit more. He still threatened to throw his head up, but I managed through squeezing the left rein to prevent it and have him give in gracefully. I stopped right there.

Big pats, time for a wash down followed by tea and turn out.

I hope tomorrow's lesson goes as well. I also hope my son Ross passes his driving test. He has to wait another three months otherwise, as Maryland law has changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts, observations or other feedback?