Things Equestrian







Pages

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Horse riding can be fun, after all!

Somehow I've managed to keep it all together for the last two days! Cruz spooked at a deer rustling in the trees by the entrance to my arena, and decided it was a good ruse to continue shying at that spot as soon as I asked him to start his trot work. He thought it was a fantastic idea to do the "I can't canter on the left lead here, because Something Bad is going to get me."

For the first time ever, I kept my hands in their correct position, and each time Cruz tried to throw his head up or evade me any other way, I just kept a steady even contact. Lo and behold! He gave in very quickly, after the first try during his trot warm up and a couple of attempts to evade me in left lead canter.

It was such a good feeling to have him submit without a fight!! I patted him and told him he was a good boy.  I could sense that by keeping a firm but not unkind hold on the reins, he felt reassured that I really was in charge and that there was nothing to worry about/no point trying it on!

Tomorrow I have a lesson and have told my instructor that I only hope I can show her what I've been bragging about, and not have it all fall apart under pressure!

Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts, observations or other feedback?