Things Equestrian







Pages

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Riding while being videoed

Two days ago I finally got my seventeen year old to tear himself away and take some footage of yours truly. I need it to post on YouTube at some point to link to my website, so people can see I'm not lying when I say I ride!

I'm also entertaining the idea of volunteering at a Thoroughbred Rescue center where they retrain OTTBs to become regular riding horses. The center needs a video of me riding, since the folks there are understandably wary of unknowns claiming they can ride well enough to be of any use.

I was pleasantly surprised at the result. Cruz behaved very well, so of course the batteries on my little hand-held device went dead after I began my canter work on the right lead. My son switched to the regular video camera which records on tape, but I have yet to discover (a) how to view it through the camera and (b) how to transfer it to the computer and thence to YouTube. I'm trying to get my son to film me again. Now all I need is no more rain, which started again with a vengeance today.

However, Cruz has been pretty good the past two days. He still tried it on with me in left canter after the filming stopped and took a while to convince that I was just going to sit there, quietly but firmly asking him to flex left and keep cantering without throwing a fit about it. Eventually he gave in.

Then yesterday we went through the two tests we have on Sunday, to finish. He had a bad moment but it was soon over. I was trying to keep things smooth as though I were in the ring, so as to know how to hide the fact that he's being difficult while bringing him round to my way of thinking.

I've been wearing my custom show boots again, and am so pleased that it's made no negative difference now. And the most wonderful thing of all is that yesterday I was able to sit quietly in all three gaits, without nagging with my legs. Cruz responded so well, by becoming ultra-sensitive to the lighest of pressure from my legs, encouraging me in this new and improved way of riding! I know he's thinking "It's about &^*$% time, Mom!"

So although my arena flooded again today, I have fond memories of yesterday to see me through to tomorrow.

I have been giving him Ex-Stress in preparation for the Equestrian Center on Sunday, just to help see him through the overnight stay and the day at the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts, observations or other feedback?