Things Equestrian







Pages

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Quick! Ride before it rains again!

Yesterday was frustrating: I wanted to soldify the lessons learned the day before, and ended up waiting for the plumber all day. Allegedly he was going to arrive within 2 hours of 11:30 a.m. Time to ride after he's finished before the sun goes down, I thought. Well, he didn't get here till at 5 p.m.

Then today, Sunday, it didn't rain until we'd been to Starbucks and had our coffee and done the crossword. I was livid! I have the show next weekend and need to keep Cruz going. Luckily the rain stopped for long enough to bring the horses in, give them hay and let them dry off before I rode.

The wind was blowing very hard, in big gusts, and Cruz thought it a reason for spooking at the end of my arena as usual. But he behaved very well about being mounted and walking off, and after that he only tried it on when we came to that end of the arena. He tried very hard at the left canter, as usual, but I persevered and he gave in quite quickly. I made sure he would behave round that corner and then cantered him quite a bit more to make sure he would keep it up.

I then brought him back to trot and he was fantastic!! He was supple and round and in front of the leg.
I did some work in sitting trot and made sure he'd transition into canter on both leads with no argument.
Cruz was great, and we finished on a good note.

1 comment:

  1. Well I am glad you managed to enjoy your ride with Cruz despite the miserable weather. I wish you all the best for the show, hope it goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts, observations or other feedback?