Things Equestrian







Pages

Monday, October 19, 2009

Steady hands, happy horse!

It was so good to get back in the saddle today after 96 hours of torrential rain. The previously half-full water troughs were overflowing. Although my arena wasn't completely dry, it was very rideable.

Cruz was just wonderful again. He stretched down into the steady contact my hands are finally offering, bent easily to the left and right, cruised smoothly into canter on both reins and snorted happily all the while.

And the main reason for this: STEADY HANDS!!! Why, oh why did I never pay sufficient attention to my hands before these past few weeks? All Cruz has ever asked of me - well, one of the things he requires - is constant support from yours truly. Now he knows where to put his head, he's happy to do it.

End of ride: lots of pats while walking him off. Dismount, loosen girth, flash and cavesson, many apple chunks and hugs in thanks. We both admired the beautiful sunset to our right as we walked side by side up to the barn, with the obligatory stop to poop in my driveway (by Cruz, not me!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts, observations or other feedback?